The Boutari Company in an effort to promote Greek wines abroad sent Grande Reserve Naoussa Boutari 1993 to London to take part in one of the most important Greek wine tastings in England.
The event was held on February the 7th in London and it was organized for the first time by the Circle of Wine Writers of England , in collaboration with Constantinos Lazaraki MW. Eighteen Greek winemakers participated either with wines of rare bottlings or from old vintages and thirty wine writers commented on the tasting. The participants were strongly impressed by this unique tasting and the versatility of greek wines.
The Circle of Wine Writers, England, is an association of writers, journalists, broadcasters and teachers that are professionally involved in the promotion of wines. The association was founded in 1960 and now has over 270 members from around the world (http://www.circleofwinewriters.org). Their goal is to spread knowledge and interest in wine and to ameliorate the ways of promoting wines and alcoholic beverages.
The wines tasted are:
1. CELLAR SELECTION / ROBOLA OF CHEFALONIA GENTILINI 2011
2. PAVLIDIS ESTATE ASSYRTIKO 2009
3. SIGALAS SANTORINI VQPRD 2008 (magnum)
4. THALASSITIS / PDO SANTORINI 2007
5. ASSYRTIKO DE MYLOS 2009 / P.D.O. HATZIDAKIS WINERY SANTORINI
6. OVILOS-WHITE VIVLIA XWRA 2008
7. PAROS RED RESERVE Moraitis 2007
8. GRANDE RESERVE / PDO NAOUSA Boutari 1993
9. RAMNISTA / PDO NAOUSA Kir Yianni 1997 (magnum)
10. XINOMAVRO OLD VINES / PDO AMINTAIO Alpha Estate 2006
11. GRANDE RESERVE / PDO NEMEA Semeli 2004
12. LABYRINTH 99-06 Skouras
13. METOXI Tsantali 2001
14. AVATON Gerovasilliou 2008
15. LATE HARVEST / SITIA V.L.Q.P.R.D Ekonomou 2000
16. BELVEDERE, Natural Sweet Wine, Mercouri 2009
17. SAMOS NECTAR 1980
18. VINSANTO 8Y Santos Wines
Photo by: Courtesy of Liz Sagues Deputy Editor, Circle Update, Circle of Wine Writers